Thursday, September 5, 2013

A heaping of news from my website

Hello All-

Wow, where did the summer go? My thanks to everyone that has been a part of my summer. There is a lot going on here, so let's begin with news on my books.

North Carolina Musicians: Photographs And Conversations, is now out through McFarland Books (www.mcfarlandbooks.com). This book features 140 of my photos, and my stories about the musicians that make up this great state. The book also features new interviews with everyone from Scott Avett, to the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Chatham County Line, Mandolin Orange, Tift Merritt, Si Kahn, and many more. The book is starting to garner good reviews, and I'm very proud to see this book in print.

Along with distribution throughout the state, I'll also be doing signings to promote the book, as well as my other projects. I'll be at Park Road Books on September 26th, at 7pm. You can also swing by the Charlotte Folk Society gathering at the Great Aunt Stella Center on Sept. 13th. I'll also be in Asheville, NC at the fabled Malaprops store on November 1st, at 7pm. Plans are also in the works for a book release party at the Evening Muse, in Charlotte on November 19th. More news soon about this show.

My thanks to Divakar Shukla and 106.5FM (www.1065.com) for interviewing me last week for their local music show. You can next hear me on the air on Chapel Hill station WCOM (www.wcomfm.org), for their Carolina Book Beat show (carolinabookbeat.com) at 10am on September 9th. More media appearances are soon to come.

My sincere thanks to everyone who came out to There Was A Time's book release party on June 28th. It went so well, that the Neighborhood Theatre has asked us to do it again next year. Stay tuned for this show in June 2014. In the meantime, The Mannish Boys and I will be hosting a Kick Out The Garage night at Snug Harbor, on November 8th, with a host of cool garage rock bands. More news on this show soon. You can also keep up with the book at its website, therewasatimebook.blogspot.com. The book's publisher, Fort Canoga Press, also now has a website at fortcanogapress.blogspot.com. Watch that space soon for info on the re-release of an important book.

Alabama Ass Whuppin, the album that I shot for the Drive By Truckers in 2000, is getting re-issued next week by ATO Records, with all new (old) photos from yours truly. The packaging for this album looks fantastic, and I'm glad that DBT fans will finally be able to hear this record. Another new old record, entitled 1999, is being released this month by Son Volt. The front and back cover are pics that I took at a Son Volt show way back when. You can pick up the record online, or at the band's shows. I also did photos for Randy Franklin's new CD, Bloodlines, which I recommend you check out.

It's hard to believe that it has been ten years since I photographed Johnny Cash's final shows. The Cash family asked if they could use one of my photos from these shows in a new Cash biography by Robert Hilburn, which will be out next month. This promises to be an amazing book, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

There was a lot to see over the summer. On June 6th, I went to New York City to work with the Left Banke. This show featured Michael Brown playing "Walk Away Renee" with the band for the first time in 45 years. Wow! It was a fun blur of a trip. Other recent photos shoots include the  Carolina Chocolate Drops, Craver/Hicks/Watson/Newberry (the original Red Clay Ramblers members), Sue Massey (as she recorded an album with Si Kahn), the Monkees (check out their Facebook page for more pics, as well my blog), Anthony Hamilton and Ed D. Kane, and several more. Other recent photos in print include the August cover of Society Charlotte Magazine, Charlotte Observer, Southpark Magazine (which excerpted my NC Musicians book in July), and several others. Lots more is coming in the fall. Stay tuned.

More news soon on much of this. Stop back here often, or at www.danielcostonphotography.com. Thanks again to you all, and safe travels.
-Daniel
September 4, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment