Friday, May 1, 2015

RIP Doug Coates

Doug Coates passed away right before Christmas, but it talen this long for me to get my head in the right place to say someything. I first met Doug in 1996, when I start wandering back into WTVI to find work. Doug was the production manager for the station, and had come down from Pittsburgh, where he had with Fred Rogers on Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood. We all thought that was pretty cool. In fact, I still do.

In January of 1997, Doug started hiring me as a camera operator for projects at WTVI. Early morning Catholic diocese programs, call-in talk shows, zumba classes, we did them all. By the end of thes year, I was working on County Commission meetings, and working on for what was like an eternity on thev station’s Tel-o-Rama extravaganza. Which was nicknamed the Hell-o-Rama by several people, myself included. Over the years, Doug kept me employed at the station, and those checks helped to keep me afloat for a long time. Thank you, Doug.

Doug’s health had been starting to decline when the station let him go. I knew in my heart that Doug was not going to get better, but it was a sad end to a long career. I saw Doug some after he retired. I should have some him more, and time, and left got in the way. I left a message for Doug before he died, sending him my best wishes. I really did mean to call again, but I didn’t know what to say. Maybe I had said all I could say.

Once again, Doug, thank you. Safe travels, and see you down the road,
-Daniel
April 30, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment